Havana Good Time started life as the performing arm of the latin music courses run by the Richmond Adult Community College. It has now gone independent, but remains a non profit-making group. The current cost of joining is £300 a year, which includes 36 rehearsal/teaching sessions and the chance to play in most of our gigs. Concessions are available.
Please contact Tim Sharp on email@example.com to enrol.
- fantastic opportunities to learn about all aspects latin dance music.
- the chance to increase your confidence of performing latin music in public - you will be encouraged to join in our performances as soon as you feel comfortable doing so.
- a truly comprehensive, diverse and balanced latin repertoire that includes Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Peruvian and Argentinean styles such as danzón, mambo, cha cha cha, conga de comparsa, merengue, afro, guajira, guaracha, bolero, joropo, cumbia, milonga, festejo, lando and Peruvian vals.
- authentic 40’s and 50’s original arrangements collected from Cuba.
- a well-written and highly organized pad of arrangements.
- the chance to perform with a professional level rhythm section.
- an opportunity to improve your overall musicianship and improvisation.
- a friendly and welcoming environment in which to learn, whatever your level of ability or experience.
- a meeting place for like-minded musicians and singers.
- opportunities to master essential hand percussion, including guiro, maracas, clave, cowbell - also the chance to try bongos, congas and timbales.
- an introduction to the basic dance steps of the most popular styles and how they relate to the music.
- Clear instruction on diverse musical aspects such as form and structure of different styles, cueing, clave and rhythmic schemes, relationship between coros, standard breaks and endings. Rhythm sections montunos.
- We meet every Tuesday evening between 7.30-9.30pm at St. Luke’s Church, The Avenue, Kew, Surrey (nearest tube Kew Gardens).
- Sessions take place during academic term times but alternative arrangements involving a variety of different teachers are also normally made over the summer break.
- St Luke’s Church is an ideal place to rehearse. It is a spacious hall, well-heated and lit with easy access and parking. It has a grand piano and drinks and snacks are always available.
The courses are run by Tim Sharp who is both an experienced teacher and performer. He has played the piano for many of London’s top salsa outfits, including Orquesta Cache, Septeto Familia, Cubanito and Orquesta Bombole.
He graduated from the Guildhall School of Music at the Barbican and has also studied at La Escuela de Bellas Artes in Havana. He holds has a masters degree from University College, London and has previously been head of music at international schools in Vietnam, Ethiopia, Japan and Peru.
Havana Good Time began life as a latin music course at Richmond Adult Community College (RACC). The group has now become independent but RACC continues to offer a wide-range of courses.
To enrol, please get in touch via the contact page or just come along to St Luke’s on a Tuesday evening.